Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rain and Flowers


It's been raining a lot here...almost every single day actually. My Dutch friends told me that it rains all the time in Holland, but no one wears rain boots. I guess that's because the rain here is a lot gentler than the rain in New York. It doesn't rain that often on the east coast, but when it does rain, it's a torrential downpour--like I could take a shower just by stepping outside (a really cold and windy shower, I suppose). Not only would I be absolutely drenched (umbrellas aren't great since the wind blows the water so that it will hit you from the side as opposed to from directly above), there would be enormous puddles all over the place--rainboots are a necessity. Here (in Holland), the rain is really more like a mist, so it's hard to get that wet, even without an umbrella. Would I rather take my rain in several small doses, or one big hit? I do love to see blue sky, so I would think I'd rather just be completely miserable for a day than sort of displeased with the weather for several days. Maybe I'll get used to it though.

Today, we went to a flower market. Apparently Holland has the world's biggest flower auction, where 1/3 of the world's flowers are bought and sold. I remember that tulips are famous here, but there are lots of other plants that seem to bloom even larger here than they do in the states--namely amarylis (spelling?) and orchids. Maybe it's that constant mist that does it.

I was worried that I would be completely deprived of good food here. Thankfully, I live near a huge Chinatown, so I was able to buy all the ingredients I needed. There are a lot of asian restaurants too, and I have found one place that sells bubble tea (but really bad bubble tea).

No comments:

Post a Comment