Sunday, May 26, 2019

Santorini and Crete

I remember learning a long time ago that the color green has a relaxing effect on our brains, which is why walking through nature is so good for us. I wonder if there is something similar about the color blue. When I look out at the deep blue ocean, and the bright blue sky, I can’t help but feel that my heart is lighter. My worries are reassured, and something in me heals. Winter is a hard time, and here I finally feel like it is over and summer is back! I really sympathize with the game of thrones warning that “winter is coming”, because winter is really awful. I hate the cold, and by February I am looking forward to the end of this horrible season, which in Geneva doesn’t seem to really end until May. They have something awful which they call the “bise”, which means the kiss—it’s a nasty, biting wind that bullies you along the street, threatening to tip over your stroller and slapping you in the face with its icy sting. I hate the bise. You may have a glorious sunny day and you walk outside and realize that the bise is here. It apparently lasts for either one, three, or six days.

Anyway, in Greece there is none of this unpleasantness. We stayed at an airbnb overlooking the water in Santorini. It is a cave house, so it is carved into the mountain. We celebrated my son's first birthday here, at a restaurant that I can't remember anymore. I remember that all of the restaurants were really good. There is a shopping area with a mix of tourist items and artisan goods. We made reservations at a restaurant where we could eat and watch the sunset. We met a pair of doctors who were volunteering at a refugee camp in Lesbos. 

Unfortunately, I am writing the last of the post a year later, and am having trouble remembering the details. We also went to Crete, which involved more driving. I realized that as my dad has gotten older, his driving has become faster. Or maybe I am the one who has changed, since now I am a mom and worry more about safety. Crete had some really nice beaches that my son enjoyed playing on, though it was very windy. We stopped by a wonderful seafood restaurant where they let you pick the fish that you want to eat. Most of the fish is just grilled and lightly seasoned, but because it is so fresh, that is all that is needed. 






No comments:

Post a Comment