Tuesday, January 2, 2024

A New Life

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I used this blog as a way to document my travels throughout my twenties and early 30s (in this regard, please do not assume any opinions expressed previously are still applicable now). After I had my son, I stopped. I simply didn't have the time to keep this up, and honestly, I stopped travelling. 

I am a lawyer by training, and few people knew that as a child, I dreamed of becoming a writer. It was never something that I thought would happen to me, and as an adult, I let that aspiration slip away. However, I never stopped writing. I wrote in this blog, and constantly kept a journal. Most importantly, I read. None of that was ever with the goal of returning to a childhood dream, but it certainly helped me write--really write--when I set my heart out to doing so. 

After my daughter was turned one, I was talking with my mom about my grandmother, who died before she could meet my children. Her father abandoned her during the Chinese communist revolution, along with her mother and sisters, because many families then considered daughters to be worthless. My grandmother and her mother and sisters had to walk from rural China to Qingdao, and then travelled to Hong Kong in hopes of finding their family in Taiwan. She has an amazing story, so I decided to write it down. That ended up morphing into a book, which got me an agent, and a book deal. 

I doubt that any of my old readers are still keeping up with this blog, since it has been dormant for many years, but if you are and you'd like to read my new book, it is available for pre-order now!

For anyone who is new and just stumbling across this, welcome to the end of my travel blog, but the beginning of my journey as a published author. I'll be continuing to post updates in my author website and instagram, and you can also sign up for my newsletter for more regular updates.  

With much love to those who have read and supported my writing over the years. 




No comments:

Post a Comment