Saturday, June 6, 2009

Copenhagen Day 2!



Well I woke up this morning and felt a bit better about my camera. After a good night of sleep I came to my senses and realized it really was not that bad. Everything functions, I just do not have anything to cover my lens...but I have a case so I suppose that will be enough to protect it in the mean time. I went to a camera store and they said these cameras need to be sent out.

Even though Europe is quite wealthy and advanced, I feel as though they are still behind in technology. For example, when I went to the camera store their new models are all kind of chunky looking...like something I bought 3 or 4 years ago! Also there are Blockbusters everywhere, something that is dying out in the US due to Netflix and streamlined video.

I really like that people here do not seem to be anal about watching their weight. In California you always see advertisements like, lunch for under 400 calories, etc. I think it is because people here are more active. In Copenhagen there is an excellent bike network, and it seems more people bike than drive. But then again, I think that works well in Copenhagen and Amsterdam because they are both fairly small. In places liek San Francisco in which people regularly commute 30 minutes driving to work that might not work. But I still think it would be nice if we set up biking lanes in the city, then I think more people in the city would bike too! Another thing is no one here wears helmets while biking!! I think a lot of people might not want to bike because you get helmet hair...not so here!

Today I went to the National Museum, which has free admission. It basically has a lot of artifacts from Denmark's history in one place. I also went to Hans Christian Anderson's grave. I wanted to go to the Royal Library to see Hans Christian Anderson's original manuscripts, but I got too tired and it is still quite cold here. By the way, when I woke up this morning my whole body was sore from walking! Food is so expensive here and the portions are very small. This morning I found a nice Italian bakery that sells thick pizza bagels for about 3 US dollars each. This is probably the first time I have actually felt full in Copenhagen!

As someone who multitasks I like to eat while walking, but apparently no one in Europe does that. I did that several times here and each time people look at me like I am a...hooligan O_O Also people do not jay walk. Everytime, even if there are no cars, people wait for the walk sign. I am too much of an impatient Bostonian to do that, so I cross anyway and the people stare at me like I ran a red light, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Right now I am back at my hostel and I am taking the rest of the day off to relax inside. Tommorow morning I leave for Stockholm!

No comments:

Post a Comment