Tuesday, June 9, 2009

First Day in Bergen!




I slept very well last night, like 9 hours :D So today I was very refreshed and had an awesome breakfast. At breakfast I met this girl, I think she was British, and a guy from Berkeley, California! We arranged to meet at 10:30 to explore the city but that girl never showed up :( Bergen is much better than Oslo, I think. It is a nice harbor with colorful buildings and is especially pretty when the sun is shining. It rains here 290 days each year, but the weather is sunny for today and tommorow! Although it rained a bit in the morning. I am hoping it does not rain tommorow because I will be taking my fjord tour then! When I booked my fjord tour the student discount is 50% off the regular price! But they would not accept by BU ID because it does not have a date. I kept talking with them, finally they said as long as I have proof that I am a student they will give me a discount, so I logged into my gmail and showed them my acceptance email from Columbia law, so they gave it to me :D

I went to the fish market and ate smoked whale, which does not taste very good...it is dry and tough like beef jerky but is still a bit fishy. The smoked salmon here is very very good! In the US I find smoked salmon still has a bit of a fishiness, but here it does not. Apparently they are quite famous for salmon and cod. I had a seafood plate with salmon, shrimp and these small lobsters. I also tried some Norweigian caviar, but I did not like it as much. Then I took a rail car up the mountain and there was a very nice view of the city and did a bit of hiking in the forests.

I lost my adaptor! And then my camera ran out of battery, so I freaked out and asked every person in the hostel if they were American so I could borrow their charger. Finally I met this nice canadian couple, so everything is okay :)
The guy from San Francisco also took Norwegian in college so he knew a lot of stuff. That was pretty cool. Other than that today was much less hectic that the other days that I have had that was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment