Friday, June 19, 2009

Salzburg





I should have gone to Salzburg yesterday :( Apparently yesterday the weather was gorgeous and sunny. Today it was all rain. This is what happens when I do not stick to my schedule! Anyhow, Salzburg is another place that I would like to come back to. I can see that it is beautiful...when the mountains are not obscured by clouds!

I happened to wake up super early this morning so I took the 5:40 am train from Vienna to Salzburg. I slept the entire way and arrived feeling energetic and ready to explore. But alas, the weather was awful. After locking my backpack up in a locker I decided to go to the Sound of Music tour that everyone has been talking about. Lucky me, I booked the last seat--the tour was leaving in 10 minutes so I rushed over to the meeting point. Supposedly 7 others were supposed to be there (it was outside burger king at the main station) so I worried that they had already left. It turned out the 7 others were a group from China and had gotten confused and met at the wrong place. Anyhow, I got on the tour just fine. Of course it was at this moment that I realized that I had left my umbrella in my backpack which I had locked away at the station. At least a lot of time was spent on the bus so I did not get terribly wet.

Salzburg actually means Salt Fortress, and apparently the region is famous for its salt mines, a source of "white gold" that made the area very wealthy. The Sound of Music tour was interesting, but unless you looooove the m oc ie I would recommend taking a different tour. I got to see some nice scenery, but I was less wowed by certain areas relevant to the mocie b ecause 1.) I o nly saw the movie once and 2.) I was not even paying attention that time I did watch it. However, I nev er knew that it was based on a true story...nor was I aware that it actually took place in Salzburg. To be honest the t our actually made me think the movie was even sillier. I mean, that one song about that boy telling the this girl that she is naive and other men will try to take advantage of her so she should follow him to stay safe...so ridiculous.

Now the Chinese t our group was a bit annoying because they were a large group and the would chatter to each other while the tour guide was talking. Also, the nerdy so n took a liking to me and decided to sit in the empty seat next to me instead of with his familz and tried to start a conversation. Why do I always attract weirdos and desperate people? Anyhow he was really odd, like a teletubb y. Whenever the bus stopped he would go "lets go let s go, photo time pho to time!" in English...perhaps that was the only English he knew? Anyhow it was pouring rain and he offered to giv e me his umbrella, but I said no because nothing in life is for free. So I got really wet during some of the walk.

We st opped for lunch by the church that the people in the movie got married in. The tour guide told us about a cafe that has the best streudel, so when we st opped I made a beeline for the cafe. I mean , I did not really care about the church but I do care a grea t deal about good food. In the cafe I got seated and served immediately because all the ot her toursits had flocked to the church. I had a chesse streudal with vanilla sauce, and concluded that I just do not like streudal much. After eating I still had plenty of time so I went to the church--by then everyond else had finished so I had the church to myself :D

On the tour I met a nice Australian girl so I went around the city with her afterwards. We found out that the Mozart Balls, a famous Austrian Candy, originated in this small cafe in Salyburg. So of course I went there and had a Mozart Ball--this is part of Candy history! The original one is better than the commercially made ones. I also had a cute pink cake, but it was too sweet--chocolate and rum flavored. My australian friend got a cream and almond cake that was really good. My cake was prettier but tasted worse--I guess a lesson in how looks can be deceiving.

After this we went to Miravell Gardens, which were very nice. Forgive me...I probably spell many of these names wrong because I am too lazy to get out my guidebook. I will go back later and fix them all! It started pouring again, and I had completely forgotten about Salzburgás old town. The gardens were pretty and also had some Sound of Music scenes, and after seeing it I figured to head back to the station and catch the 3:00 train to Budapest, since it is safer to arrive at 9 pm than 11 pm. I am sad that I missed old town though, because it is a UNESCO heritage site and those tend to be quite nice! But I was also so cold in the rain, and I am glad I got the earlier train. I had to sit next to a stinky person though...

I am not in Budapest at my hostel, and I have to go because I will be meeting these American girls. One of them is going to BU for her masters!

No comments:

Post a Comment